Friday, March 2, 2012

Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk

Wild and crazy day yesterday.  Storming and raining outside, mad printer in the studio inside!  It was really a lot of fun to print out images from Santorini yesterday.  I was having a heck of a time printing the images the sizes that I wanted.  It was like, 'what the heck is going on here'!  So finally it comes to me, '...what if I use the program that came with my Canon T2i to print?'  Oh, yeah, now we're talking.  I couldn't believe that it made all the difference in the world.  Then I really started going to town printing.  Because I was taking pictures in Santorini - and just about every other stop we made - anywhere between 10 - 12 Noon, I increased the color saturation to 20.  That seemed to do the trick.  I don't like to manipulate my images, but I guess there's always some room for improvement.

I had also taken some pictures in monochrome.  I like to try out different papers.  So for some of these black and whites, I printed on Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk, which gives the images a warm look.  The surface of the paper has a rough feel to it.  I love the way it looks.  Then I tried printing a monochrome image of the Santorini hillside on the Ilford Smooth Fine Art Paper.  I didn't like the result.  Sometimes it looks pleasing - other times not.  Then I reprinted the hillside image on Epson's Ultra Premium Glossy and those were much better on glossy.  I dry my images in the same racks I use for my darkroom prints.  I layer them with the light weight papers that are used in between my non-glare glass.  I save them just for 'stacking' purposes.  Comes in handy.  Digital prints also need drying time.  If you don't let them dry for a day or two and you immediately mat and frame them (with glass), the remaining moisture in the print will later fog up the glass - and that ain't good!  It means you have to take them apart, clean the glass and re-frame them.  

Today I'm waiting to hear back from the High Hand Gallery's powers that be, as to whether or not the flyer has been approved.  I hope so, I don't want to do that again.  At least not now.

I had to 'warm' this image up so you could get an idea of what it really looks like on the Gold Fibre Silk.





No comments:

Post a Comment