Monday, March 19, 2012

Photography Contests

Between things going well, and then the weather not so well...we had snow, it was a long weekend.  I am not a fan of the snow, but luckily it was only 3 inches worth and it was gone by 1:00 p.m.  That was Sunday.

I have been cutting mats off and on and that's about it.  I promptly hand carried my two entries to City Hall on Saturday.  When I got home I told my husband, "My stuff paled in comparison to other entries!"  I mean there were some very large format size artworks lining the walls.  We were told if you get a phone call by 8:00 p.m. tonite, that means we are calling you to tell you your work was selected.  So 8:00 p.m. and beyond comes and no phone call.  I figured as much.  The next morning I go back into town and there's a sign on the door that says something about the photography.  I walk in and I said I'm here to pick up my artwork.  And she says, oh did you see the sign on the door.  I said, yeah, sort of .  Well, we had to split up the show into two groups since there was an outpouring of photographers!!  So the photography will  be in a separate show in July and August.  So does that mean my photography was selected?  I mean, come on, am I in or what?? ; )  Yes you are in.  Just bring back your two pieces the first part of July.  We will also be sending out an email to remind you.  So, to make a long story short, this is why I don't do contests.  It's too much emotional ups and downs, photography (or any artwork for that matter) is subjective to whomever is looking at it, admiring it, or judging it.  Too much chaos for me.

Sunday was also High Hand Gallery's Artful Sunday, so after picking up my artwork from City Hall, I headed over to the gallery and helped out setting up.  Considering that the weather went everywhere from rain downpours, to a little bit of sunshine, to hail, and back to overcast, we had quite a few people braving the elements to come out and visit our gallery.  We had live music, candle making and car stamping classes going on too.  I was there taking photos for our Facebook page.  I got home just in time to see it start to snow again!  Ugh!  It didn't last long though.

Today I'm working on paperwork for High Hand Gallery.  Oh, by the way, I lost my address book last Friday, and in the process of tearing my studio apart looking for it, I found a $150 gift card to Dick Blick I got two years ago and totally forgot about!  Some good things happened this weekend!  I need to order some supplies! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment