Friday, March 9, 2012

Mat Cutting

Yesterday my new artist friend arrived and we started right away learning how to cut mats.  She had purchased, what I would cal the portable mat cutter.  It's the two-piece version:  the ruler on one side of the metal piece and the groove for the blade on the other side with the hand held blade cutter.  It's a little harder to use because you have to try to keep everything in place while you're moving.  She had a good idea to get a piece of plywood to use as a base, with a raised edge to help contain the mat board.  She mastered that in no time and we proceeded on to putting the window mat and backing mat together.  Then I showed her how the larger version of the Logan Mat Cutter works, which is a little different and easier to use.  She's going to practice at home to perfect the cutting as it does take time.  It was a successful morning and we had a good time together.  I felt like I'd known her forever.

Before she had arrived, I was working on some written instructions on how to mat, how to frame, etc.  The High Hand Gallery is offering art classes and the night before at the meeting it occurred to me that I could probably give lessons on how to mat and frame.  Newbie artists always have a learning curve with this, so it is something I could perform at the gallery.  So I think I will continue to write up the instructions, finish them, and that would give me my background for the class and a hand-out.

I previously mentioned that I was in the darkroom and printed out three 11x14s of the No Hands Bridge.  When I went to pour out the copper toner I was just about a month and a half too late for that batch.  So I ordered more from Freestyle and I'm expecting it today.  Then I can tone the picture and mat and frame and I'll be done with that project!

No comments:

Post a Comment