Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Transient Keepsake Photography


Bought the frame for my replacement photo for the Keepsake's show at High Hand. Normally I cut my own mats, but I went ahead and purchased a double mat for the giclee print I made of a new 'leaf' photo. I'll be putting that together this morning, as well as cutting a piece of non-glare glass for the frame. Here's a photo of the new leaf picture.

Yesterday I was still working on photography, but in a different medium: encaustic. A fellow artist and I joined forces for our collaborative show which is scheduled for later this summer. She works in encaustic which is beeswax and/or resin painting. Well, we wanted to incorporate the photography into the process as other artists do. You can look it up online and even watch videos of this process on YouTube. Most of the time Charlotte uses canvas, but one can use other mediums: acrylic panels, board, you name it. We ended up using acrylic panels - just small 8x8s. We printed out some of my color photos from my series of Monet's Garden in France, onto transfer paper called 'Sheer Heaven' from cre8it.com.

Then we painted two layers of beeswax onto the acrylic panel, heating it up with a commercial heat gun in between layers. While that was cooling, we sprayed the print with rubbing alcohol, turned the wet side to the rice paper and rubbed the back side of the transfer paper, transferring the photo onto the rice paper. It's different everytime! It's not necessarily a clear precise print, it's more muted and artistic looking. Then again coating the rice paper with another layer of wax, heating it with the heat gun. We also added some additional touches with oil sticks, making an abstract design over the transferred photo, and again another layer of beeswax. And voila! Another piece of artwork! That was alot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment