Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Matting & Framing & Painting


So I got a little side tracked on Sunday late afternoon. I started an acrylic painting of the Eiffel Tower from a calendar picture I had saved. That wasn't the one I wanted to start with, but that's what came about. It's only the first layer basically, it is a work in progress. At first my husband was 'wow' that's great. Then later, 'hhmmm'.

Then on Friday I brought home the large framed photo of Banyon Roots (from my Hawaii in B&W Series) to repair. It gets so cold in the High Hand Gallery in the winter that it made the matting buckle at the top of the photo. So I took the picture apart, placed heavy objects on it for two days to flatten it. I also cut the 4-ply extra backing just a tad smaller, as that seemed to be too tight, possibly adding to the cause of the buckling. I put the whole thing back together and it looks good. Hope it stays that way. I'll drop it off today and re-hang it for the show. The gallery was closed yesterday so it was only out of the gallery for one day.

As an aside, Loomis is having their annual Iris Show, and the High Hand Nursery is joining in with that event displaying iris for sale. The artists at High Hand Gallery are bringing out their works of iris art too. I remembered I had a B&W photo I took years ago of an iris in the Sunset Magazine's Garden in the Bay Area. I'm going to develop that one in the darkroom just for the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment